How To: Mustache Pillows | Mildly Interesting Tutorial
The super sweet Let Me Have My Fairytale contacted me about these hilarious pillow cases from Urban Outfitters!
Now I couldn’t find any specific tutorials out there, but I think I’ve got the perfect solution! Using freezer paper & fabric paint is quick and easy to take care of. Basically all you’ll need for this is a pair of pillow cases, some fabric paint and freezer paper. The beauty of this is that you can do a mustache like the one from Urban Outifitters or any other design you can think of! I hope my tutorial makes sense - sorry I don’t have pictures to go with it. If you need some visual help, check here. I hope you like this tutorial and it helps! I will search the web for tutorials on other pillows, so keep an eye out!
Freezer Paper & Fabric Paint Tutorial
The first thing you’ll need to do is find a mustache shape. I found some great ones here, including an amazing handlebar mustache!
1. So you can have the mustache across the two pillows, take your mustache and cut it in two in photoshop or a similar program. You will only need one half of the mustache to print out as you will be using it as a template to trace onto the freezer paper.
2. You will need your two mustache pieces to be quite large to cover the pillow cases, so I suggest taking your image to a printing shop and get it printed onto an A3 piece of paper (that’s if you don’t have access to an A3 printer!)
3. Roll out your piece of paper so it covers the whole image on the A3 paper, then trace your mustache half. Make sure you trace onto the non-waxy side of the paper, as the waxy side is the one that you will be ironing to the fabric. Flip the image over and trace again on to another piece of paper. You will now have two pieces with two sides of the mustache.
4. Cut out your mustache insides, making sure not to cut through the ‘outside’ piece. Iron onto the pillow slip with the waxy side ‘down’, positioning close to the side of the pillow. You might want to put the two slips side by side so you know that they’re going to match up when you put them next to each other on the bed.
5. Now you will have your two slips with the freezer paper on them. Using your fabric paint, paint inside the freezer paper. You might want to use a roller sponge as it’s going to be a big piece to paint! Don’t forget to put something inside the pillow so the paint doesn’t bleed through.
6. Leave to dry and then peel off the paper. You will have a lovely pair of mustache pillow cases!